We all have those days as parents where we feel like we have been through the wringer and we question everything we know about ourselves, our kids, and our parenting skills. On days like these it’s important to take a deep breath and know these 5 things:
- You are not a bad parent: Our kids know how to test us and push boundaries and buttons on the daily. Whatever you are struggling with right now is most likely normal and developmentally appropriate for your child. You love your child and have their best interests at heart. You are human and may make mistakes. Forgive yourself. Do the best you can for your child.
- You are not alone: Chances are other parents are going through something similar. We all struggle with parenting choices, discipline, feeling isolated at times – it can feel like you are the only one in the world – but trust me – others can relate.
- It’s OK to take time out for yourself: Sometimes when we are feeling overwhelmed and frustrated we need a break from the demands of our children. You need time to yourself. Go for a solo walk. Go to the store alone. Maybe you need to enjoy a meal in peace? Whatever rest and recharging your battery looks like for you – do it – your kids will appreciate having a mom who is not overwhelmed. Self care is not selfish. It is necessary.
- Your kids don’t hate you: I know it can feel like they do when they are pushing boundaries, not listening, and flat out defying you – but your kids love you. Remember they are children, their behavior is normal and not to spite you. To them you are their whole world.
- This too shall pass: Whatever the struggle of the day, the week, the month is – I promise you it will pass. A day will come where it gets easier and there will be new challenges to face. Kids grow up. They mature. And so will you.
If you found these tips encouraging or helpful please feel free to share and comment below!
Follow me on Instagram @cerrato.mom